Monday, April 20, 2009

The Impish Impulse That Pulsates Through Strangers

Not a day goes by, it seems,  when I'm not pestered by at least one seemingly well-intentioned stranger asking me: "What's your all-time favorite New Yorker cartoon about dogs?" 

Without hesistation, I tell the questioner: "It was one of the New Yorker's rare two panel cartoons.  In the first panel, there's a boy who appears to be drowning in a river.  His dog, a collie, is looking at him worriedly from the riverbank.  The boy shouts to the dog, "Lassie!  Get help!"

In the second panel, Lassie is laying on the couch in a psychiatrist's office.

*****

That cartoon imparts to me one important message: Yes, dogs do have issues that they need to work through sometimes.

*****

Lately, I've been questioning one of my own issues: impulsiveness.

Sometimes, my spur of the moment decisions are not, in retrospect, the wisest.

For instance,  back in 1995, when I decided at 3 a.m., to get my first and only tattoo.  

I liked it at first, but now I'm having second thoughts.  

Maybe I should have put it on another part of my body. 
  
Maybe I should have gone with a traditional tattoo parlor-style illustration (like a hula girl, a dragon, or a satanic clown).

But, no.  I had to be different:
A Maverick.  
A Lone Gun.  
The Big Cheese.  
Hondo.  
Hud. 
Hoss. 
The Grand Pooh-Bah.  
Brave Heart.
The Wolf Dancer.
The Horse Whisperer.  
Chromosome Boy. 
The Boss.  
The King. 
The Champ. 
The Prince.  
The Artist.  
Ice, Ice, Baby. 
 Mr. Cool.  
The Kool-Aid Kid.  
The Choosiest Mother. 
The Fifth Dentist.  
Kinky the Hospital Attendant.  
"Ski-Dude."  
The Gipper.  
The Skipper.  
The Professor.  
Thurston Howell, III.  
The Big Swingin' Dick.  
Mr. Goodbar.  
Spartacus.  
The Decider.  
The Hammer.  
The Ball.  
The Peen.
Mr. Clean.  
"Big Mac."  
The Quarter-Pounder.  
Hot 'n' Juicy.  
Butch.  
Truck.  
Car.  
Minivan.  
Scooter.
Officer Friendly.  
Mr. Interesting.  
Donkey Kong.  
The Captain.  
Tenille. 
Bazooka Joe. 
Bungalow Bill.
Dr. Pepper.  
The Squirt.  
The Sprite.  
"Pimpy."  

So, naturally, I chose tattooed words over a tattooed picture.

And I chose to have that tattoo etched into my forehead, instead of a more discreet location, such as on one of my bi-ceps, a shoulder, my buttocks, or my lower back.

Certainly, at the very least, I wish I'd chosen something different than what I chose:

"Ask me about my all-time favorite New Yorker dog-related cartoon." 

But, at the time, 3 a.m., I thought I never get tired of talking about the craziness of dogs.

As it turned out, I was already weary of the subject by the following afternoon.  

In fact, I had to almost immediately concede the point that most dogs are, in fact, pretty normal.

Today's message of hope and courage: If you want to make a permanent point at 3 a.m., make it as vaguely ambiguous as possible.

4 comments:

mama said...

You are too funny! lol

mama said...

I find it strangely comforting to know that I can come here anytime and never read the same post twice. lol

TheOldSchool said...

Thank you, mama.

lizardrinking said...

Agreed. Though does mama's comment mean you edit, or post a lot, or both? Guess I'll just have to wait and see.