Saturday, April 25, 2009

Da Plain Truth

Why do so many remain silent when a travesty of artistic creativity is taking place right before them?

Fear? Apathy? Bladder control issues?

No doubt, all three of these rationalizations are in often play, but an even more commonly given justification for inaction comes from the conveniently misguided belief that someone else will do something to solve the crisis.

I am, of course, referring to the disasterous lack of imagination that is insidious in America's tattoo-parlor community.

My friends, it's bad.

I didn't realize how bad until this morning, when I went to "google images" searching for a tattooed image of the late actor, Herve Jean-Pierre Villechaize.

Nothing. Not even a shitty, crudely made tramp stamp (the kind a prisoner etches onto the lower back of his man-bitch, when they're both hopped up on cleaning solvents in a storage closet filled with several decades worth of redacted TV Guides).

Think about this for a moment.

The man who played the most memorable sidekick character, "Tattoo," on the ABC network hit, "Fantasy Island," has no tattoos in his own honor.

What is wrong with today's tattoo artisans?

I think I know the answer.

They're basking in complacency. Afterall, they've been awash in easy money from the gen-x kids, who made tattoos and tramp stamps a rite of passage.

The fat cats who run the tattoo industry saw no necessity for new images while their current stock of cliched images was still selling well.

Sound familiar? General Motors? Chrysler? Lehmen Brothers? AIG? William Wegman?

Someone needs to wipe the smug smirks from the faces of unimaginative tattoo parlor executives, before we taxpayers are paying for another bail-out under the guise of "they're too sleazy to fail."

I would, but I know how psycho-pathological these muscular tat-titans can be. (Absolutely asshole-ish.)

Plus, at the moment, I'm kinda busy. Hello.... a blog doesn't write itself.

I don't want anyone to worry, but recently I was diagnosed with a particularly pernicious strain of verbal diarrhea ("blogger's bloat") which doesn't allow me to move more than a few meters away from my bathroom laptop. It's nasty, but not life-threatening. (Was that a huge sigh of relief I just heard from all corners of the globe?)

So, I'm counting on you to take care of the "no Tattoo tattoo" fiasco.

Call or visit your local parlors. Tell them how upset I am. Yes, it is that important.

3 comments:

anglophile said...

OK, you got me. I am laughing out loud over no Tattoo tattoos.

TheOldSchool said...

Glo,

Thanks, but I was sorta hopin' you'd be contacting your local parlors, demanding that this deplorable situation be remedied.

You do know that Herve Villechaize died for our sins (granted, it was from a self-inflicted gun-shot to the chest -- I was grateful he didn't damage that beautiful head.)

I've tried to piece together the final years of his tragic life. In 83, he was let go from Fantasy Island, after he demanded to much money.

He eeked out a living doing hack work, such as lowering himself to reprising his role as Tattoo in Dunkin' Donuts commercials, pointing to a tray of unfrosted donuts and exclaiming: "Da plain! Da Plain!"

It's so sad that we don't have a real life Fantasy Island, where people like Mr. Villechaize can live out there natural lives with dignity.

TheOldSchool said...

.....TOO much money